With a new buzzword or hot topic to learn about each week, it seems as though many public services could benefit from reflection on their priorities, current scope(s) of work, and the internal capacity at hand to move a vision into reality and a mission into impact.
If you are a leader (someone committed to empowering positive change), you have probably struggled to choose which projects and pathways will have the most profound effect. Perhaps you wonder about your local community, your organization and industry, or your family.
Leaders never stop learning and questioning what is best and what is right. This is part of the drive for excellence in serving and caring for other people. So when you want to make the world a better place, how do you know that your focus and energy is placed on the right priorities?
How can you model focus to ensure services for your families make a greater impact? Let this reflection guide your introspection:
- List as many buzzwords, short-term initiatives and hot topics from your industry that you can think of in 30 seconds.
- How has this constant change adversely affected your work over time?
- Where did you find wisdom and hope in any of these models that you keep?
- How have the changes you listed influenced the experiences of families in the region?
- Name 3-4 key pillars of your vocational philosophy. What are the cornerstones of your work?
- Does your work flow into and out of these themes or is it random?